Africa (Sub-Sahara)

  • BW Offshore and its partners reported 40–50 MM bbl of recoverable oil at its Hibiscus Updip prospect in the Dussafu license offshore Gabon. The DHIBM-1 exploration well, drilled to TD of 3,538 m in 116 m of water, delivered approximately 21 m of pay from a 33-m hydrocarbon column in the Gamba formation.

  • VAALCO Energy encountered Gamba and Dentale oil sands with its Etame 9P appraisal well offshore Gabon. The well was drilled to TD of 10,260 ft. The Etame field is owned by a consortium led by Vaalco (28.07%). It also includes PanAfrican Energy Gabon Corporation (31.36%), Sasol Petroleum West Africa (27.75%), Sojitz Etame Limited (2.98%), PetroEnergy Resources Corporation (2.34%), and Energy Africa Gabon (7.5%).

  • Eni started gas and condensate production from the Obiafu 41 discovery in the Niger Delta 3 weeks after well completion. The discovery contains approximately 28 billion m3 of gas and 60 million bbl of condensate. Gas from the discovery will largely be channeled to the domestic market to feed the power sector.

  • Asia Pacific

  • PetroChina drilled into high flows of natural gas and condensate in an exploration well in northwestern region Xinjiang. The Bozi-9 well in the Tarim basin yielded a daily output of 418,200 m3 of natural gas and 115.15 m3 of condensate in test production.

  • Santos and Carnarvon Petroleum achieved a maximum measured rate of approximately 11,100 b/d of oil and 21 MMscf/d of associated gas in initial flow testing of the Caley reservoir from the Dorado-3 appraisal well offshore Western Australia. The oil rate was one of the highest ever achieved from a North West Shelf appraisal well test. Santos is operator of the well with 80% interest, and Carnarvon holds 20%.

  • Strike Energy achieved a flow rate of 69 MMcfd of gas from the Kingia Sandstone reservoir at its West Erregulla-2 appraisal well in permit EP 469 in the onshore North Perth basin of Western Australia. The well reached a total depth of 5100 m, making it the deepest onshore well drilled in Australia and one that has discovered the deepest-ever hydrocarbons. Strike, with 50% interest, is the operator. Warrego Energy holds the other 50% interest.

  • Latin America-Caribbean

  • ONGC Videsh Ltd. (OVL), the overseas arm of Oil and Natural Gas Corp. (ONGC), discovered 8 m of oil-bearing sands at 2852 m of depth with the Well Sol-1 well in block CPO-5 in Colombia. ONGC operates the Colombian block with 70% participating interest. The remaining 30% is owned by Petrodorado South America SA (PDSA).

  • Petrobras and OVL encountered natural gas the Moita Bonita-2 well at water depth of 2.6 km in block BM-SEAL-4 offshore Brazil. Petrobras is the operator of with a 75% stake. OVL holds the remaining 25%.

  • Middle East-North Africa

  • National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC) discovered natural gas at the Eram field near the Persian Gulf. NIOC said the field, approximately 200 km south of Shiraz, holds up to 19 tcf of gas and has the capacity to produce approximately 385 million barrels of gas condensate.

  • Petrobel plans to fast-track development of a Gulf of Suez discovery made by an appraisal well on the Abu Rudeis Sidri development lease. The Sidri 36 well encountered a 200-m hydrocarbon column in Cretaceous Nubia clastics. It is expected to start production at 5,000 b/d of oil. Eni owns 50% of Petrobel. Egyptian General Petroleum Corp. owns the remaining 50%.

  • Oil and Gas Development Company (OGDCL) of Pakistan discovered oil and gas reserves at the Togh well-I in Kohat district in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. The well, which was drilled to a depth of 3200 m, has the potential to produce 50 b/D of condensate and 4.1 MMscf/D of gas, according to OGDCL. Joint venture partners are Mari Petroleum and Saif Energy.
     

  • Northern Europe

  • Equinor started production at its giant Johan Sverdrup oilfield in the North Sea, the largest offshore development in Norway since the 1980s. The Phase 1 development of the 2.7-billion BOE field is expected to reach plateau production of 440,000 BOE/D during the summer of 2020, and its full output of 660,000 BOE/D when its Phase 2 development is put on stream at the end of 2022. Equinor’s partners in the field include Lundin Petroleum, Total, Petoro, and Aker BP.

  • Rex International discovered oil and gas on the Shrek prospect in the Norwegian Sea. The recoverable oil equivalent of the discovery is approximately 3–6 MM scm, or 19–38 MM bbl, based on the preliminary estimates of PGNiG Upstream Norway, the operator of the drilling license. Rex’s 90%-owned subsidiary Lime Petroleum AS owns a 30% stake in the PL838 license. PGNiG has a 40% interest. Aker BP holds the remaining 30%.

  • PGNiG confirmed new reserves of oil and gas in the Skarv field in the Norwegian Sea after drilling wildcat well 6507/5-9 S and appraisal well 6507/5-9 A in 357 m of water. PGNiG holds 40% of shares in the license.

  • Premier Oil discovered 220 bcf of new gas at the Tolmount East well in Block 42/28d in the UK Southern Gas Basin. Premier owns 50% interest in the block.

  • Spirit Energy doubled natural gas production from the Greater Markham area straddling the UK and Dutch borders in the southern North Sea with the C5Y well, which added 25 MMscfd in Chiswick field.

  • Russia-Caspian-Central Asia

  • Rosneft discovered up to 2 MM mt of oil with its first prospecting and appraisal well on the Vostochno-Pribrezhny license block offshore Sakhalin Island. The well was drilled from shore to an MD of 3047 m, with vertical deviation of 1450 m.

  • USA

  • Hess Corp. encountered 58 m of high-quality oil-bearing Miocene reservoirs with its Esox-1 discovery on Mississippi Canyon Block 726 in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico. Drilled in 1405 m of water, the well will tie back to the Tubular Bells production facility. Hess is operator with 57.14% interest. Chevron USA holds 42.86%.