Production Begins from Valhall Flank West
First oil has been produced from the Valhall Flank West development in the Norwegian North Sea, operator Aker BP said in a statement.
The unmanned wellhead platform will receive power from shore via the Valhall field center, which Aker BP said was in line with its strategy of minimizing the carbon footprint from its operations. The platform’s crane and seawater pump are electric and receive power from the field center, which the company said will help to reduce maintenance costs.
The Valhall field has produced more than 1 billion BOE since its start up in 1982. Aker said it aims to produce the same amount over the next 40 years. Valhall Flank West is expected to contribute around 80 million BOE to that production total. Its ownership group has invested NOK 5.5 billion ($600.38 million) in Valhall Flank West at a breakeven price of $28.5/bbl.
“Aker BP sees enormous potential in the Valhall area,” said Kjetel Digre, senior vice president of operations and asset development at Aker BP. “We have started removing old platforms from the field center, we are investing in new wells, we are plugging old wells, and we are actively seeking new business opportunities in the area. With Valhall Flank Wet on stream, this represents another important step towards achieving our ambition.”
Aker BP holds a 90% stake in the Valhall license, with the Kerogen Capital-backed oil firm Pandion Energy holding the remaining 10%.
How Will Asia Pacific's Upstream Sector Respond to the Oil Price Crash?
Unprecedented, perfect storm, a black swan event—all ways of describing the situation the oil and gas sector finds itself in right now. Here’s an analysis on the near-term outlook for projects in Asia Pacific.
Assessing Operational Readiness for Restart of Wafra Oil Field
After 4-1/2 years out of service, the massive Wafra oil field in the Saudi-Kuwaiti Onshore Partitioned Neutral Zone, is set to resume production sometime soon and ensuring a smooth restart is no small order.
ExxonMobil Starts Production from Liza Field Offshore Guyana
The startup of the deepwater field marks the beginning of production from the massive Stabroek Block, which contains an estimated 6 billion BOE. ExxonMobil estimates that at least 5 FPSOs will be producing more than 750,000 BOPD from the Stabroek Block by 2025.
Don't miss out on the latest technology delivered to your email every two weeks. Sign up for the OGF newsletter. If you are not logged in, you will receive a confirmation email that you will need to click on to confirm you want to receive the newsletter.
21 September 2020
22 September 2020
17 September 2020
16 September 2020
21 September 2020